Semi-colon Corner

I'm a young, punctuation-happy court reporting student.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nampa, Idaho, United States

Humor is not simply the art of laughing at others, nor merely that of laughing at yourself; rather, it is the ability to see the tiny absurdities of life. -- Anemone Flynn

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Thoughts

Just a few minutes ago I had all kinds of things to say.

School's going all right.

Family seems to be fine.

I'm reading good books.

There's a court reporter get together tonight at a restaurant nearby. Maybe I can finally have some pasta.

I'm at the interning stage in my schooling, now. I've been out with two different reporters. One's a court official, and the other does deposition work. Neither have returned my calls. I don't believe I've offended anyone into ignoring me -- I think that the message isn't getting through to the official, and the deposition reporter is probably on vacation, 'cause I'm not the only one who can't reach her.

I've got to prepare for this test in November. It's put on by the National Court Reporters' Association. I'd better remember to sign up; the deadline's swiftly approaching. I'll have to pass three tests to receive my certification. I already passed the Written Knowledge Test, so I have a Literature at 180 wpm, Jury Charge at 200 wpm, and a Question and Answer at 225 wpm.

Literature can be (literally) anything. Ha, ha. Jury Charge is usually rather repetitive, material from a court room setting. Question and Answer is, well, one person questioning and another answering. I have to identify the speakers and keep them straight throughout the test. Each test runs for five minutes. Still, at 200 wpm, that's a thousand words -- not to mention punctuation.

I've been posting to a very informative message board. It's attached to a site called the Apostrophe Protection Society. So, I've just condemned myself to complete geekdom in many people's eyes. I am resigned.

1 Comments:

Blogger liz said...

aaaahhhahaha! Heidi, I do love the way you think. "...complete geekdom. I am resigned."
All I can do is laugh, shake my head, and try mercilessly to wipe the silly grin off my face.
no luck so far :o)

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home